Monday, April 23, 2007

Cornstock 2007

Concordia College, located in Moorhead, Minnesota, is the home of the annual music event called Cornstock. Not too sure, but I think it was originally held in a corn field, so yes, the name has meaning. Anyways, I decided to take the long trip to Minnesota after being invited by the members of Hall's Guide Service, who were chosen this year to play after winning the Battle of the Bands. As you should know, if you bother to read more than one page on my site, Hall's Guide Service was the original winner of my Myspace Music contest last summer.

Besides getting to hang out with one of my favorite Myspace bands, the main band was what finally pushed me to the limit, of driving. The great genre-defying CAKE was the what attracted most people. Yet, most of the hard-studying college students stayed for the wacky party inflatables such as a boxing ring with giant gloves, a prison race, one of those balancing stick fighting arena and just plain old "Look-At-Me-Act-My-Age as I Jump Around inflatables. They even had a mechanical bull, which Puuda did quite well at. Also, as a side note, their did not seem to be any alcohol allowed, so all the crazy behavior was indeed a result of the wacky entertainment.

Unfortunately Hall's Guide Service didn't get that long of a set and CAKE didn't show up on time, causing the third band in the line-up, Ari Hernstand, to play until they were about to pass out. Thankfully they were able to pull it off for almost the two hours they played. The members of CAKE aren't really what they have been labeled (by the work themselves or by others): laid back College Funk-Rock musicians. They were never around unless they absolutely had to be and were late arriving and never talked to anyone. I'm also sure they didn't realize they added more to the "death of playing in 3/4 time" by saying they were going to play a song in it, but end up playing in 6/8 time.

Their set wasn't all the long due to their unknown lateness. Yet, even despite their attitudes and short play time, it was still an awesome show. Puuda even got to meet Dr. Kuha in person and hit him in the face with a padded stick. If I get the chance, I would definately go to it next year...if I can somehow get one of those darned buddy passes.

CAKE: B
Ari Herstand: A
Hall's Guide Service: A
Overall Event: B+

Grades are based on what was expected from each band/event (Ex. Going to see Angus Young in his school uniform, but instead he was only in regular clothes or a leotard)

Pictures from before and after the show should be up soon as well

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe they called it Cornstock because of Concordia's mascot...Not particularly sure what exactly their mascot might be, but the students call themselves "Cobbers"...So, it must have something to do with corn. None the less, nice article, I believe it about sums it up.
-Luke (HGS)

Dr Kuha said...

I thought that Ari Herstand was terrible. And by terrible, I mean so boring that by the end of their set, I was seriously considering ramming a white-hot needle in the Ari's eyes in an effort to at least add some levity to the situation.

I'll do just about anything for a laugh, as you know.

Dr Kuha said...

I mean, seriously. They played for like 90 minutes and HGS was booted off stage after less than 40. It was retarded. What a dumb concert. I would be surprised if Cake did more than a 50 minute set too. I hope Ari Herstand spends his entire career as a third rate folk singer with no prospects.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so CAKE acts like that all their shows then. I saw them recently and the show was almost cancelled because the arrogant lead singer didn't have his hand wipes! I personally lost all respect for that band.