Wednesday, April 18, 2007

CAKE Concert(?)


http://www.myspace.com/cake

As many of you may already know, Puuda is in fact a fan of GOOD music. He is also a human being. With that said, it is without a doubt that I'd be attending a concert of one of the greatest Funk bands of all time: CAKE! It's not in the ground covered in cement and lead solid, but I may be driving for most of day to go see CAKE jam at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota for Cornstock. Yet, that's not even the best part about it.


In my original Myspace Music Contest that took place last July and August, I chose what was originally going to be one band, but found that there was several deserving bands that became five winners. Two of them from Minnesota, one from Conneticut, one from New York City, and one from Nova Scotia. Believe it or not, the band opening up for CAKE will the other great funk band (not RHCP) Hall's Guide Service. I was actually told about the show by them and thought I should come.


http://myspace.com/hallsguideservice
Although several of the bands I have written about in the past have made new levels, this one I am excited about because they are a lot younger than the others so far. A total age of 71 and they are almost, if not equally, as funky as RHCP. The youngest possible age from just two members of the Peppers is 82 years. So I hope I will be able to make it.

Of course, I can't just brag about how I have a knack of picking good local bands, I must explain the greatness that is CAKE. CAKE isn't just a college funk band, they are THE college funk band, that just happen to include rap, jazz, ska, and even country into their music. Since they are often playing at colleges and music festivals of the sort, you won't need to worry about the $500 tickets that are often seen attached to The Stones and Dave Matthews. If were born in the 70s or the 80s and didn't at some time embrace the New Age Contemporary College Alternative Rock Hippy lifestyle like everybody else because you were too busy watching late night television, you may recognize CAKE's music as the intro/theme song to the cult classic show Mission Hill.

I have also been keeping in touch with the other bands I've written about and love. Red Fox Grey Fox just got sign to Say Rah Records recently, which is always good news for a band. The best band in Switzerland, DAZE, are getting ready for a half month tour in the States, so if they come within a thousand miles of your house, you need to go to that. Also, I should have a new band posted this week.

No comments: